- 1 Enabling anonymous editing?
- 2 How to Enable links to forms
- 3 Answer to: How to Enable links to forms
- 4 EMERGENCY - Can't Stay Logged into my Sites
- 5 Help: My Site is away!
- 6 File upload / Site alias problem
- 7 Another problem possibly related to URL Alias
- 8 Strange File Upload Problem
- 9 Server latency and timeouts
- 10 Inferencing subcategories in inline queries
- 11 Wiki links mangled url problem
- 12 Bug related to the '(Optional)-Display-site-at-...-.referata.com-instead-of-...[site alias]-missing-embedded-media-and-thumbs' bug
- 13 google webmaster / google analytics
- 14 logins throttled please wait
- 15 Main Page style-error!
- 16 Error-Message while loading Special:Allmessages
- 17 Enable RDF import?
- 18 Additional Editinput-Buttons on Ref-Sites
- 19 Error message when loading Special:AdminLinks
- 20 Notice: Undefined property: SMWWikiPageValue::$etNamespace
- 21 Access user language preference(s)
- 22 Job Queue
- 23 User Permissions, Protection
- 24 Email
- 25 Wikipedia interwikimap CLOSED
- 26 Error: cannot upload files
- 27 Uploading Word files
Enabling anonymous editing?
I have started a wiki, and through the - Site settings -> privacy tab, I have set it to be "public", "open" and "open" (to edit with captcha), however, when I log out of my account (or when my colleagues view and try to edit) the edit button has disapeaerd from the pages, creating a situation where only registered users can edit. We prefer to allow unregistered viewers to be allowed to edit, but can not seem to get this feature operating. Any suggestions??
- Oops - that's my fault; I accidentally changed around the default editing permissions a week or two ago, apparently. Thanks for letting me know about that, and sorry. I just fixed the problem, I think. Yaron Koren 17:39, August 16, 2011 (EDT)
- What is the procedure for performing the following
- Enable links to forms. You add the text "This property uses the form Form:Author." to the "Was written by" property's page.
(I figured out the answer to my own question.)
To edit a property, you first have to find the property. You can see all property pages with via the Special:Properties page.
Alternatively, you can jump directly to a property constructing a url of the form:
/wiki/Property:NameOfProperty (with or without spaces)
--Dme 01:07, June 12, 2009 (UTC)
EMERGENCY - Can't Stay Logged into my Sites
While I can log into my 'master' account, today I can no longer log in to any of my sites; I log in, and return to the page I want to edit, it keeps showing me as a guest with my IP. This doesn't seem to matter what browser I use -Chrome, Safari, Firefox. I cleared the cache too - nothing helps... Is it time to reboot the server? Help!--WTFologist 18:36, March 29, 2010 (UTC)
- Hi, yes, I'm aware of this issue, and trying to fix it now; sorry about that. Yaron Koren 18:49, March 29, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, it's fixed now. Yikes. Yaron Koren 18:53, March 29, 2010 (UTC)
Help: My Site is away!
I cannot visite my site at http://menofwarwiki.referata.com/ !!!! Can you please help me??!??
--Dennis07, 22:02, 29.03.10
Problem solved, I think it was a server error. (But esspecially only on MY site...) --126.96.36.199 14:09, March 31, 2010 (UTC)
File upload / Site alias problem
i am not able to upload a small jpg. the result always returns a broken link. --WTFologist 18:06, April 5, 2010 (UTC)
- Hi - thanks for letting me know about that. The problem was due to the fact that you're using a URL alias; but it's fixed now. Yaron Koren 15:05, April 8, 2010 (UTC)
The alias is there because I did a (non-fatal) typo in the site name (lagos vs lagoas). I didn't notice it until long after I put some work into the site. I don't know if there was a better way to correct this other than delete the site and start all over. In any case, the url to the photo using the alias still doesn't work. However, if I alter the url to use the original (misspelled) subdomain, it works. --WTFologist 16:25, April 8, 2010 (UTC)
UPDATE: I see now that I simply needed to drop the domain and just put the filename. PEBKC error... --WTFologist 16:39, April 8, 2010 (UTC)
Automatically generated links to files involving URL alias:
There is still a problem. Using auto-gen special pages like gallery of new files, or files assigned to categories (turn up in category list) shows broken links. FYI.----WTFologist 16:30, April 12, 2010 (UTC)
example: category page
example: gallery of new files
today, I can't save changes (or preview changes) for lagoasdomaceio.referata.com - which uses the URL Alias. Making nearly identical changes to it's sister site (which has no URL alias), clinica-spa-lagoas-do-maceio.referata.com saved immediately. The only difference I can think of is the URL alias.--WTFologist 16:07, April 12, 2010 (UTC)
UPDATE: this seems to be resolved. perhaps it was caused by some maintenance you were doing.--WTFologist 16:31, April 12, 2010 (UTC)
- Surprisingly, I didn't touch the Referata code yesterday - that's odd. Yaron Koren 15:48, April 13, 2010 (UTC)
Strange File Upload Problem
whenever I upload a new version of a png, the current version shows the original version. the uploaded files always show as older, not newer versions.
Even if I delete all version and start over with uploading the new version, somehow magically the old original version shows up, and not the new file just uploaded.
In the example above, the png that has the word 'wireless' is the old file uploaded yesterday, the version that has the word 'tecnologias' is the new version. But it never becomes the current version. I'm baffled...
Update I started over with a new file page by renaming the png. It may help you to know that even when I upload the new file, the system issues a warning that this is a duplicate of an existing file (it is not, the name is different, the graphic is different, and the timestamp is different). Clicking 'ignore' allows the upload to proceed and I only need to update links that reference the old file to point to the new file. But this is a weird problem.
Thus, the update is a workaround, not a solution.--WTFologist 16:06, April 21, 2010 (UTC)
Server latency and timeouts
Hi, FYI, the last 24 hours the server has been very slow to respond and seems to be going down often. Just thought you'd like to know.--WTFologist 15:50, April 28, 2010 (UTC)
I have a fiber optic connection that tested yesterday at 12Mb/s download. Yet page loads from this site take half a minute to 2 minutes. even the little editor buttons load several seconds apart. Is anyone else having this problem? I need to solve this because I literally can walk away from the PC for a coffee break for every atomic change. --WTFologist 14:02, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
Note that just the preview of the above took 20 seconds.
Saving the above took 96 seconds.
- Hi, yes, the last few days have been quite slow, although the problem seems to have mostly gone away. The issue seems to have been some problem at the hosting site. Sorry about that. Yaron Koren 17:56, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
- FYI, I just figured out that for some reason, posting and loading is much slower using Opera (for me). Now I'm using Chrome and this helps a lot. --WTFologist 01:09, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
Happening again today / yesterday. thx Decora 21:41, May 19, 2010 (UTC)
Inferencing subcategories in inline queries
It seems my inline queries fail to pick up pages in subcategories. According to http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Inferencing#Subcategories :
- By default, SMW uses this subcategory information in semantic queries: when asking for all pages that belong to a category, it will also find all pages that belong to any subcategory of that category. ...
- SMW's mechanism of subcategory inferencing can be restricted or disabled by the site administrator.
1) Is subcategory inferencing disabled here? --WTFologist 01:12, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
- I don't think so... can you point to a page where the problem occurs? Yaron Koren 02:45, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, I looked into these, and they're both the result of the individual queries. For the first one (1a), if you replace "category" with "Category" in the query it should work (looks like a bug in SMW); while for the second one (1b), the query should sort on "Project priority", not "Priority". Yaron Koren 21:04, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
Thank you. The first (1a) works after following your advice.
The second (1b), no dice. I'm stumped... But the first question - whether subcategory inferencing is enabled - is answered affirmatively. This leads to another question:
2) If all I want to select are pages that are members of the top category, ignoring subcategories, is there a way to do this?
2b) Furthermore, can you imagine a cause for the properties Project priority, Project type, returning empty results? They are definitely set on the pages in question. Could it be be confused by pages in subcategories that do not have these properties? Thanks! --WTFologist 21:46, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Hi - these all sound like questions better suited for the Semantic MediaWiki users mailing list - given that the problem doesn't seem to be in Referata itself, I think that's the way to go. Yaron Koren 03:48, May 5, 2010 (UTC)
FYI - I revisited this again today, intending to refine my question on semidiawiki... lo and behold, my query (q's 1b & 2b) works as intended now! dunno why... --WTFologist 23:11, May 26, 2010 (UTC)
| this page shows examples of wiki links that have alt-text. The problem I'm having is if I do not prefix the pipe symbol with a space, the pipe gets concatenated to the url and the link, especially if it is to a wiki site, fails. But |if I include the space before the pipe, the pipe displays as part of the alt text. is this a bug or am I missing some point of syntax? --WTFologist 18:45, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Hi, yes, you're just missing the syntax - external links (the ones with only one square bracket) don't require a pipe. Yaron Koren 17:02, May 11, 2010 (UTC)
- When one goes into Special:Site settings and fill in the subdomain alias for the site (for whatever reason), the following happens:
- Internal [[File:]] requests for graphic files retrieve a broken link. so do their thumbnails in category or gallery pages.
- This is because those links' url's are re-written to the site alias full url, but they were not honored because they did not match the primary (default) subdomain.
- Recent experiments have convinced me that removing the site alias is the only workaround for this. Graphic File: links work correctly again as they are written to the sites primary (default) subdomain.
(a.k.a. the 'revert-interwiki-data-rewrite-url-fail' bug)
- When one goes into Special:View and edit interwiki data on two sites (say, one for English version, one for Spanish) and make them point to each other using 'in-other-languages' interwiki links (e.g. EN:Something and ES:Algo), and one of those links points to a sister site that has had the site alias set (in other words, the 'in-other-languages' link is written to the sister site's alias), and THEN remove the site alias for offending in the above bug, the following happens:
- 'in-other-languages' sister (prefixed interwiki) links still point to the previous [site alias] subdomain after the site alias is removed in Special:Interwiki prefix settings. '
- In effect, the 'other language' links are broken in one direction.
Why would I do this? Essentially, I made a minor adjustment to a sister site's 'name' (a minor spelling variation that conveys diminution, later decided to be not quite right). Since a lot of work already went into the site, it was advantageous to use the site alias to allow both variants, equally likely when typed from memory.
Why does this matter? One of the nice features of MW (and Referata) is the relative ease with which the domain prefix may be used to create multiple language versions of each page - something not so easy to do on other platforms where there is no good mechanism for this.
The sister site strategy is a good one, because using subdirectories to hold other-language versions does not allow for a parallel hierarchy at the level of the other language that is consistent with the hierarchy of the primary language - forcing it to become an ugly massive hub for everything, including categories, properties, templates, etc.
Although the frequency of people encountering the exact circumstance might seem low, it will affect any user who wants to run an interlanguage site and allow for spelling variants in the sister subdomain(s). That seems to me like it could be more common than not. --WTFologist 23:01, May 11, 2010 (UTC)
google webmaster / google analytics
I pasted the codes into my 'site settings' and nothing is happening.
- Google Webmaster: it adds a meta tag but it says '<meta name="verify-v1" content="blahblahlblahblahblah" />' , it's not verifying though. The google webmaster site says it needs to say '<meta name="google-site-verification" content="blahblahblahblahblah" />'...
thanks Decora 21:30, May 20, 2010 (UTC)
- interesting thread: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=11492d9b975516d4&hl=en Decora 21:41, May 20, 2010 (UTC)
- analytics has a 'checkmark' icon now (guess i just needed to wait?), but google webmaster still wont very. Decora 22:08, May 20, 2010 (UTC)
- I'll look into this. Yaron Koren 22:41, June 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, I think I fixed it now - sorry about the delay. Let me know if you're still having a problem... Yaron Koren 22:57, June 11, 2010 (UTC)
Sorry to relance this question, but i don't understand, if i should add the code found in meta name=google verification content , or i must do something else, when i'm in the web services tab of the site settings?--Hay.democratic.network (talk) 13:53, June 24, 2013 (EDT)
logins throttled please wait
I was trying to use pywikipedia bot bot on my wiki, but the password got messed up and now it says 'You have made too many recent attempts on this account's password. Please wait before trying again', and i'm locked out. There don't seem to be any admin links to clear the throttle either. Decora 03:11, May 21, 2010 (UTC)
- after about 12+ hours it has let me back in Decora 16:23, May 21, 2010 (UTC)
Main Page style-error!
The style of the Page/ Main page on my site has an error: As you can see, some formatting things, such as the headlines are corrupted. This error is not the the first time on my site, it came already 3 times before and went again.
Could somebodey please give me a reason for that? -- Dennis07, 14:32h (GMT+2/CET+1), 21.05.2010
Error-Message while loading Special:Allmessages
Everytime i want to view the list of sytem-messages, there comes a message:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/yaron57/public_html/w/includes/db/Database.php on line 1521
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/yaron57/public_html/w/extensions/SemanticMediaWiki/includes/SMW_DV_WikiPage.php on line 67
What's up with this and why can't i succeed to the page?
--Dennis07, 04:22h (CET) - 2010-06-11
- Yeah, Special:AllMessages was poorly designed - it tries to show all the message on one page, which in practice usually leads to a timeout, thus rendering the page useless. It was fixed to use pagination in MW 1.16, which I'm planning to upgrade Referata to as soon as it's officially released; which should be soon. Yaron Koren 22:48, June 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Hmm... But on wikipedia there isn't the problem because there are shown 50 resaults by default, up to 5000 (named as: all which is not that correct^^)...
- I'm wondering how they did that.... Seems to be an extension, because it was already used much time before wikipedia was upgraded to 1.16(beta) ....
- --Dennis07 18:06, June 14, 2010 (UTC)
- This page now works well, now that Referata has been upgraded to 1.16. Yaron Koren 10:52, August 4, 2010 (EDT)
Enable RDF import?
Would you please enable the import of RDF ontologies? this would make starting the use of an ontology easier. Import is discussed here: http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Ontology_import any option would be great. Thanks! --berteh August 4, 2010
- As far as I know, there's still no good option for importing RDF (correct me if I'm wrong about that). The RDFIO extension, once it's released (which may be in a few weeks) may be the right solution for it - if it works reasonably, I'll probably add it to Referata. Yaron Koren 10:51, August 4, 2010 (EDT)
Additional Editinput-Buttons on Ref-Sites
I just saw that: i am interesting in lokking arround what nice sites the other users have and i found this one:
I went into edit-mode (action=edit you know) and saw that this site has additional edit-interface-buttons.
How is that possible (i think there is an extension which does that but i do not remember well its name...)
And how to turn this feature on?
--Dennis07 21:26, August 19, 2010 (EDT)
- What buttons are you talking about? Yaron Koren 23:03, August 19, 2010 (EDT)
- Well, these additional ones:
- --Dennis07 23:50, August 19, 2010 (EDT)
- Hi, sorry for the delay. Can you give an example on that site of an edit page that contains those buttons? I don't see it. Yaron Koren 00:08, August 25, 2010 (EDT)
- for example:
Well i see that on every edit page. --Dennis07 20:14, September 4, 2010 (EDT)
Error message when loading Special:AdminLinks
I am getting the following error when attempting to load Special:AdminLinks from my site:
"Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class MapsHooks in /home/yaron57/public_html/w/extensions/SemanticMaps/SemanticMaps.hooks.php on line 13"
Thanks -- Andy
- Have you set the liquid-threads-feature on? --Dennis07 05:14, October 10, 2010 (EDT)
Yikes! I tried that just for fun, but it threw a database error on EVERY PAGE of my site!! I finally was able to unset that by using the browser back button many times and reposting the form data. Whew. I don't recommend turning that feature on.
Anyway, Yaron tells me he fixed the error that was causing the admin links not to work, and all is well now. Thanks Yaron.
- Yes, the original problem was fixed, and now the LiquidThreads problem is fixed too - thanks for pointing that out. Yaron Koren 18:39, October 10, 2010 (EDT)
Notice: Undefined property: SMWWikiPageValue::$etNamespace
Page load very slow, got this message in the bottom upon load. Typo in $etNamespace? FYI
Notice: Undefined property: SMWWikiPageValue::$etNamespace in /home/yaron57/public_html/w/extensions/SemanticMediaWiki/includes/export/SMW_Exporter.php on line 145
--WTFologist 16:42, December 10, 2010 (EST)
- I guess this is fixed now... Yaron Koren 20:42, December 14, 2010 (EST)
Access user language preference(s)
I noticed that the wiki has the ability to present the user interface in the language preferred by the user, perhaps guessing by IP address, perhaps by accessing the browser's user preferences metadata, or a user-defined cookie. I was wondering if the general wiki author has access to this information. I'd like to find a way to select the text in the language the unregistered user prefers by using this info in template transcludes or some kind of conditional tag. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, --WTFologist 14:36, December 12, 2010 (EST)
- Actually, no - each wiki has a default language (selected by its administrator - the default for that is English), and that's what's shown to anyone who's not logged in. Yaron Koren 20:42, December 14, 2010 (EST)
How fast is the job queue set at? Things seem rather slow. Isn't there a way to add "run jobs" to the Admin Links? --Aquatiki 19:53, January 29, 2011 (EST)
User Permissions, Protection
How do you make more user permissions?
How do you protect your wiki from editing? (because on the protect page it just says create protect)
Are there any email adress associated with a wiki, such as email@example.com? — Fnielsen 04:26, March 12, 2012 (EDT)
- Currently: No. But if you have a suggestion like that, you can post it here. Thank you; --Dennis (Administrator) 17:14, March 12, 2012 (EDT)
Wikipedia interwikimap CLOSED
I imported several hundred pages and many use a Wikipedia interwikimap link like this:
- [[Wikipedia:Arabian Peninsula]]
- Example http://crisiswiki.referata.com/wiki/Arabian_Peninsula
I noticed interwikimap works on this wiki:
- Wikipedia:Arabian Peninsula
How do I enable Wikipedia interwikimap on my wiki?
I changed an interwiki link to Wikipedia to a full URL and it was blocked as spam
I found Special:Interwiki - this solved my problem
Error: cannot upload files
When I try to upload files, I get the following error:
<You cannot upload this file, because you are currently using 9866.19921875 MB of file space, and uploading it would exceed the allowed quota for your site (100 MB). Sorry for the inconvenience.>
Also, at the top of the page there is another message:
Missing argument 1 for WGSite::getMegabytesUsed(), called in /home/yaron57/public_html/w/extensions/WikiGarden/includes/WG_Utils.php on line 101 and defined in home/yaron57/public_html/w/extensions/WikiGarden/includes/WG_Site.php on line 436
Hello, please provide us a link to your site, as I cannot review that. Thank you! --Dennis (Administrator) 16:29, May 10, 2014 (EDT)
Uploading Word files
When trying to upload .doc files, I get this message:
The file is a corrupt or otherwise unreadable ZIP file. It cannot be properly checked for security.