Welcome to Referata, a site for community-created databases.
Referata offers free hosting of wikis using the MediaWiki application, with some important extensions (Semantic MediaWiki, Semantic Forms, Semantic Drilldown, Semantic Calendar and others) that allow a Referata site to hold not just text, but structured data, that can be displayed and browsed in structured ways. Combined with the collaborative abilities of a wiki, a site hosted on Referata can serve as a true user-powered database, with a minimal amount of setup work or technical knowledge.
Referata also provides two paid membership levels, "Premium" and "Enterprise", with additional features like being able to keep your wiki readable only by members, more file space and custom domains. See the Features page for prices and to see what's available for all three membership levels.
Although in theory you could create even a non-semantic wiki on Referata, it is recommended that this site be used only for semantic wikis. If you want to create a non-semantic wiki, there are many existing options you can use: see here for one list.
Creating a Referata site
Creating your own Referata site is a very simple process:
- First you must register on Referata, including specifying an email address. This email address should be confirmed - you will get an email sent to that address, on which you must click the link in order to confirm.
- Once your email address is confirmed and you are logged in to Referata, click on "My sites" at the top.
- Click on "Create a site".
- Specify a name for your site, a subdomain (all Referata sites will have the URL "site-name.referata.com"), and user information for your account at that new site (this can be different from your user account on Referata).
- Once this is done, your Referata site will be created, and will be accessible to the world. You should now be able to log in to that site, and when you do, you should see two special links at the top, besides the usual ones: "Site settings" and "SMW panel". See the help page for more on what you can do with these two pages.
You can do all testing at the special "Scratchpad" wiki, at scratchpad.referata.com.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org for all questions, comments and issues.